St. Peter’s Catholic Student Center has a growing music program which has been well received by students and the permanent community. We have several groups which support both liturgical traditions, the Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form.
1. Student Choir. This choir sings generally at the Novus Ordo (Ordinary Form) Masses, but occasionally at the Latin Mass and for special occasions. Latin and English.
2. Children’s Choir. This groups sings mostly for the Latin Mass. They sing repertoire both in English and in Latin. Ages 6-12, about 20-25 children. This group meets for 30 minutes after the Latin Mass.
3. Instrumental musicians. This group plays at both Ordinary Form and Latin Masses and for special occasions. The composition of this group, the repertoire, rehearsal time, and the available opportunities are determined in a flexible manner by the background of those who participate.
4. Adult Choir for the Latin Mass. This group meets 45 minutes before the Latin Mass and performs works in Latin and English.
5. In addition, each Ordinary Form Mass has a worship team which leads the congregation in hymns and responses. That is led by a cantor and several student musicians. Rehearsal is one hour before Mass. The Director for these activities is Mark Falsone.
6. Gregorian Schola. This group provides Gregorian Chant for the Latin Mass and uses the liber usualis. The Chant Choir Director is Dr. Matt Hejduk.
Our community is unusual in that works of serious choral and instrumental literature can be performed at every service, approximately ten liturgical opportunities per week. It is an extremely flexible environment with regard to repertoire; our goal is to provide music of excellent quality from all compositional periods, from ancient to modern. Students from a wide variety of educational backgrounds could find opportunity to increase their skills: vocal performance, piano, organ, various instruments, conducting, music history.
We have been blessed with a beautiful new facility on the second floor of the new addition to St. Peter’s, which serves as a home for the music ministry.
Please consider joining us as we explore and share the rich heritage of the Church’s music tradition. We have much to learn and much to give. We hope that you will join us as we learn and serve.
The Music Ministry Staff
Dr. Janya Martin, Director
Mark Falsone, Worship Director
Dr. Matt Hejduk, Director of Chant Choir
Amanda Sawyer, Music Assistant
Rachel McCormick, Choral Scholar